Thursday 4 January 2018

My Life In Books 2017 Part II

Yep, back for more?
Here's what happened in the second quarter of last year.


Apr

A Spring Affair by Milly Johnson - I only discovered Milly's books a couple of years ago, and love them. Her characters are warm and down to earth and I've done my best to buy her back catalogue. 5 stars.



Gray Mountain by John Grisham - still one of my favourite authors. Has been for about 20 years. I was already reading him whilst at university. A bit different from his usual legal thrillers, but I enjoyed this - 5 stars



FOR THE RECORD - not everything was 5 stars this year or close to it. I did give up on a few books, whether because of my mood, the number of spelling and grammar mistakes (always much more noticeable to me now as an editor and proofreader) or the dodgy plot. I just prefer not to rate something at all if I'd give it less than 3 stars.



May 

The First Time Mums' Club by Lucie Wheeler - ALERT!! This was a new novelist for me and indeed it was her debut novel. In fact, as I type this article, I've just gone to check and she has a new novel out in March - Mums Just Wanna Have Fun and I've just pre-ordered it. As I'm a mum of two tiny sprogs, her debut novel really appealed to me. I remember tweeting her to tell her how much I enjoyed it. 



Breakfast Under A Cornish Sun by Samantha Tonge - I've read another of Sam's books, but this was so much better in my opinion. I loved everything about it. There are a lot of books set in Cornwall and the surrounds at the minute, but this is one of the better ones. 4 stars.



Here Come The Boys - Milly Johnson - I did say I bought her back catalogue, didn't I? 4 stars.



Jun

Wickham Hall - Cathy Bramley - along with Holly Martin, over the past few years, Cathy has embedded herself in my conscience as one of my favourite authors, and likewise I love seeing her physical books on shelves now too, and delight in being able to buy them in paperback as well as e-book. 5 stars.



The Wedding Season - Samantha Chase - ALERT - new author for me. I liked this book to begin with, then got fed up with it, then gave it another go and liked it. So it gets a well-deserved 4 stars from me. 



Spring at Blueberry Bay - Holly Martin - yes, I was playing catch-up with her books. Four stars from me.


Hope this has given you some recommendations or at least food for thought. Tune in tomorrow for Part III.

No comments:

Post a Comment