Friday 16 November 2012

Book Review - A Twist of Fate by Joanna Rees

I would say 'Yay, it's Friday,' but as an author it makes no difference if it's Friday or not, at least for me, as I am always writing or doing some marketing-related activity. I will need to wait for my holiday before I get a real break!
But, what a treat I have in store for you today. This is my joint-favourite book of the year (the other being Carlos Ruiz Zafon's The Prisoner of Heaven)

So, let's find out a little more about the book, then feast your eyes on my review. Oh, did I say I gave it 5 stars?!

A Twist of Fate by Joanna Rees

Romy and Thea, two beautiful baby girls, their future’s sealed with the flip of a coin. One will enter a life of privilege, surrounded by only the best money can buy. The other will fight for survival in an orphanage, against an evil regime who seek only to exploit her. Throughout the years their paths will cross, neither knowing who the other one is, their lives overflowing with secrets, blackmail and murder. From the snow covered forests of Eastern Europe to the glistening white beaches of the Caribbean. From the gutters of London’s Soho to the towering skyscrapers of New York, A twist of fate tore them apart, only their strength and determination can reunite them…



I received an Advance Review Copy from the author, as I have read and enjoyed all of her other books in a different genre and was intrigued by this new departure. It's not the usual kind of book I would read, but reading the back cover, it reminded me of Kane & Abel by Jeffrey Archer, which I read about 15 years ago, but it was much better, more emotional. The separation of siblings at birth and what would happen to them, I knew would be a story that I would like. I just wasn't prepared for how much. I was gripped by the story right from the start. I stopped writing my own novel for 2 days, so I could read it, I was so hooked. I honestly didn't want it to end. The bravery of both sisters in the face of adversity was the key aspect I enjoyed. The way Joanna Rees painted such amazing characters, particularly one which I hated (I will leave it to you to read to find out who and I am sure you will agree with me) was fascinating. The story is set in several countries and I loved this. I am a great fan of Italy and the part set in Italy, I could vividly imagine and the family dynamic was very well depicted. Likewise, having visited New York, I could envisage Maddox Towers and I had no problem in seeing the places in my head. The contrast between the rich, luxurious lifestyle which one child was brought up in and the extreme poverty and horrors through which the other child lived was crafted exceedingly well. There are also power struggles, twists and turns and some rather disturbing scenes. All in all an amazing book, which I can't applaud enough.

You can buy A Twist of Fate via the following links:-
  http://amzn.to/WdmmOx (UK) & http://amzn.to/PY6sop (US & other .com)
If you wish a paperback copy, this can also be ordered via Amazon or any good bookshop.

More next week - have a great weekend everyone
Sooz

No comments:

Post a Comment